PTSO meeting – May 21, 2013

Post date: May 22, 2013 9:42:35 PM


· Steve Schneeberger

Penn Fest 5K – Steve Schneeberger:

· In conjunction with Penn Fest on September 15th, the PTSO is co-sponsoring (with the other Richfield PTOs) a 5K fun run and kids walk. The PTSO will receive a portion of the entry fees based on the number of RDLS families who participate - so sign up to earn money for the school! More information will be coming home in folders.

Amity Scholars - Marta Shahsavand and Phyllis Kern:

· Phyllis was able to find enough host families for 4 Amity Scholars for 2013-2014! Marta has already confirmed 3 scholars and is working on getting a 4th. The plan is to have two for Kinder and two for 5th grade. It was unanimously agreed that the PTSO will pay a stipend of $1,800 to each scholar.

· There is a fund set up with the Richfield Public Schools Foundation to raise money for Amities for RDLS.

End of the year picnic – Steve Schneeberger

· The picnic will be a potluck on Wednesday, June 5th, from 5:30-7:30 at Veterans Park. Each family is asked to bring a dish to pass, based on their student's grade (no need to bring two dishes for two kids - just pick one). Details regarding food to bring (main dish / salad / dessert / etc) will be coming home soon.

Responsive Classroom - Marta Shahsavand

· This summer 4 teachers (2 Kinder, 2 1st grade) will be attending a 5 day workshop on Responsive Classroom, a program designed to help teachers build community within the classroom. During next school year a coach will come school 3 days to assist teachers; Marta may ask the PTSO to fund a few additional days for the coach. She is waiting on a quote and will request funds next year.

Officer openings – Steve Schneeberger

· Four positions will be open next year: Spanish Co-President, English Co-President, Treasurer, and Secretary.

· Two candidates put forth their names for consideration for English Co-President: Mike de Roma and Jeremy Kidd. Mike wants to encourage more families to volunteer at the various PTSO events as he is concerned that the same volunteers do most of the work. He believes that forming committees within the PTSO will help with organization and volunteering. Jeremy wants to help focus the efforts of the PTSO by creating a vision or mission statement, bring more structure and formality to the board meetings, and improve the organization's cashflow.

· After a brief discussion by the group, an election was held and Mike DeRoma was elected President for a two year term (2013-2014/2014-2015).

· Other votes:

· Treasurer: Teresa Kemmer (for a one-year term 2013-2014)

· Secretary: Carly Kidd

· We will still need a Spanish Co-President next year.

· Hope Wilson will continue as Volunteer Coordinator and, as mentioned in a previous meeting, Eve Topaloglu has volunteered to head up the Multicultural Festival next year. She intends to start planning in October.

4th of July Float – Steve Schneeberger:

· The float is rented; all we need to do is show up at Augsburg Park Library. We can bring candy to pass out; we are not handing out any RDLS items this year. We still need a volunteer with a truck to pull the float in the parade.

School Directory - Julie Foley

· This week families should receive information about the 2013-2014 school directory. Marta is sending home a link or a paper form for families to use to submit their contact information. The link ( will allow families to enter their own contact information online; those who do not wish to enter their info online can fill out the paper form and return it to school. That information will be collected and entered in by Julie or another volunteer. Families new to the school next year will be given this information at the beginning of the school year.

Thank Yous - Marta Shahsavand

· Marta handed out thank-you cards to the outgoing board members.

5th grade recognition - Matt Jurewicz

· Matt wondered if there will be a press release to the Patch or the Sun Current about this year's 5th graders, as they are the first to graduate from RDLS. Marta invited Matt to write the release and submit it to the press.

Meeting adjourned.

Next meeting is next September.