PTSO Monthly Meeting 1/22/2013
Post date: Jan 23, 2013 3:06:04 AM
Family Fun Night recap
· The movie and pizza night on Friday 1/28/2013 earned over $800
· The proceeds are yet to be determined for this event – Spanish language books for the library or in the Amity Scholar fund.
· Look for another fun evening scheduled in February.
· Claire – from Mexico
· Christina – from Spain
· We will need to start thinking about school year 2013-2014 with impending budget cuts – the Amities are licensed teachers and greatly assist the staff with day to day class room operations.
· Amities assist students with Math and Reading as well as model and help students with behavioral issues. They assist the teacher with co-teaching as well as helping to connect culturally with the students.
· Amity scholars depend on extra jobs to help pay their expenses as well as a small stipend from the school ($100/month). Looking to increase this amount.
· Looking for host families to take students for the next school year. Please see flyer for more information.
What is bullying? It is a form of violence that includes unwanted, aggressive behavior; an imbalance of power shown by one student over another and is behavior that is repeated time over time.
RDLS is implementing a Bullying Policy that will stop bullying on the spot; investigate the situation; support students involved; teach corrective pro-social behaviors and create consequences for repeat offenders
· Level 1 - Teasing, lying, name calling; social or relational bullying (spreading rumors, embarrassing someone in public); written statements or graphics.
· Level 2 - Physical bullying between students (hitting/kicking/pinching/spitting /tripping/ pushing), verbal abuse; purposeful exclusion (leaving someone out on purpose).
· Level 3 - TBA
· Solutions – because bullying is a long-term, repetitive problem, it will take time and support to practice and master the skills for intervening in bullying behavior. It is primarily a relationship problem and the staff will work with students to help pinpoint bullying and work on strategies to empower the students to come up with pro-social behavior models.
Bully Free School – the four S.T.O.P. steps
1. Stop – Tell the abuser to stop
2. Tell an adult
3. Out – Leave the area of the bullying
4. Protect yourself and others from being bullied
· Headed up by Stacey Gibbs, Julie Foley and Betsy Lindow
· The entire month of February will be devoted to the Read-A-Thon. This is our biggest fundraiser of the year and the proceeds will be used to fund our Amity Scholars.
· Room Parents/Room Coordinators will track minutes and monies. Volunteers are needed.
· Look for more information coming home soon!
· The date has been set for April 20th and it is quickly approaching
· Coordinators and volunteers are needed
· Please contact Steve Schneeberger for more information email@example.com
· Headed up by Teresa Kemmer
· Looking for volunteers to help with the Book Fair that will coincide with Parent Teacher Conferences on Feb 13th and 14th. Times available on Wednesday 2/13 from 2pm – 8pm and on Thursday from 8am – 8pm.
· Please contact Teresa Kemmer to slot a time – Tessi22@yahoo.com or call 612 220-6433 or see the RDLS Facebook page for more info.
Room Parent Update
· Tabled until next meeting
Amity Fund – RPS Foundation
· Tabled until next meeting