PTSO Meeting Notes 10/09/2012
Post date: Oct 10, 2012 3:36:15 AM
· Steve Schneeberger – Co President
· Veronica Bach-Dowd – Co Presidente
Treasurer Update – Colleen Nollenberger
· Please see attachment for allotments and future expenses
· Need a volunteer to begin transition for Colleen’s position as her term is up in May. Contact Colleen@Nollenberger.net for more
Volunteer Coordinator – Update
· Mychelle Nunez nominated for Volunteer Coordinator
· Congrats Mychelle!
Room Parent Update – Jeremy Kidd via Steve Schneeberger
· Off to a good start and connections have been made
· Fine tuning events and volunteers for classrooms
· Some volunteers still need to get class lists to room parent volunteers from teachers
· Contact Jeremy Kidd with questions or if you want to volunteer Jeremy@kidds.net
Loteria Update – Veronica Bach-Down
· Save the Date for Family Fun Night Friday 10/26/2012 from 6-8pm
· Nominal donation per family for Loteria/bingo cards
· Veronica will need help with set-up, food, prizes, etc
· Contact your classroom volunteer or Jeremy Kidd Jeremy@kidds.net
Book Fair – Teresa Kemmer
· Book Fair will run Tuesday 10/16 4-8 pm; Wednesday 10/17 9am-8pm
· Set up will be Monday evening and break down will be Wednesday after 8pm
· Volunteers are needed to for set up and during the fair running cash register, etc. and break down
· There was a Sign-up sheet at the meeting or email Teresa Kemmer – email@example.com
· This is a great fundraiser for the school and supports the media center
RDLS Event – Obstacle Course/Zumba/Soccer – Betsy Lindow
· Save the Date Saturday Oct 13th from 1-4pm
· The fun includes Obstacle Course, Jump House, Photo Booth, and Futbol Stars
· Zumba Teacher will hold classes while kids are waiting their turn to go through the course
· Players from the Minnesota Stars Soccer/Futbol Team will be on site to sign autographs and play with the kids
· Event will be held Rain or Shine (Rain plan is to set up in GYM)
· More volunteers are needed for set up/breakdown – contact Betsy Lindow
· This is a community building event – not a fundraiser – just a day for families to enjoy and get moving
Referendum – Megan Ritchie, Lisa Hintermeister, Sean Foley
· Presented by representatives from the CQC – Richfield Citizens for a Quality Community
· Why Levy Vote? Must be renewed every 10 years and current levy is expiring
· Richfield is looking to maintain current course offerings in a highly competitive niche with St Louis Park, Edina and Bloomington.
· Ballot question is on the BACK of the BALLOT. There are two questions on the referendum.
o The first is for maintaining the current level of funding. There would be no increase in property taxes
o The second question is for a small increase for inflation. This question will have a very small impact on home owner’s property taxes. The average cost would be $16 per year on a $160,000 house. This equates to only $1.66 per month.
· Voters would need to vote the same way on each question.
· The benefits to our community are immense – increase in property values; stronger communities tend to support local businesses, non-public schools and students benefit from services through the public schools and are impacted by cuts; well-educated students are better prepared for higher education, employment and citizenship.
· Results of a failed referendum (on both questions) would result in less reading and basic skills support; reduced options for classes such as gifted and talented, advanced placement, specials, etc.
· Richfield cost per student is far below our surrounding communities as far as funding for pupil. The cost per Richfield student is almost 30% less than the most expensive cost per student in the St. Louis Park District.
· Here are the consequences of the vote results:
o If both fail - $3,760,000 cuts will be needed
o If first question passes and 2nd fails - $1.5 million in cuts are needed
o If both questions pass, no new money from state $1.2 million in cuts are still needed.
· Help Get the word out to support Richfield Schools – VOTE YES
· Get educated at the Richfield CQC has a Facebook Page – like it and learn more.
· Learn more at www.RichfieldCQC.com
· RDLS has an obligation to help spread the word. Help to distribute literature. Go to www.RichfieldCQC for more info.
· Please help get the word out!
Opportunity to raise funds for PTSO – Mike DeRoma
· Will have Food Truck at Sever’s Corn Maze in Shakopee and needs help manning the food truck
· Sign up via link on RDLS Facebook Page or Link from www.rdlsptso.org site.