PTSO Monthly Meeting – Tuesday March 20, 2012
Post date: Mar 23, 2012 3:01:16 AM
Officer Reports – No Updates
Wellness Policy – Marta Shahsavand
· Aleteos Newsletter is an important tool in keeping up to date with happenings at the school.
· This document is always available on the School website http://www.rschooltoday.com/se3bin/clientgenie.cgi (District, not Facebook).
· Key information regarding an upcoming fundraiser at Barnes and Noble where the school can earn 15% of sales during selected dates.
· Updates on the School Wellness Policy, School Birthday Celebrations, Healthy Snacks in the classroom, Active Classroom, and much more.
· Contact Marta Shahsavand if you have questions or concerns.
Book Fair recap – Teresa Kemmer and Cindy Lybeck
· Raised $3218 in sales which is an increase of roughly 6% over spring 2011 or about $200.
· By comparison, fall 2011 sales were over $4000. The fall event is typically more robust.
· The school earned over $2300 in Scholastic Dollars which can be put towards Scholastic product.
· The Scholastic Dollars will be divided between the teachers and the Media Center with the assistance of our new literacy coach
Culver’s Recap – Steve Schneeberger
· Despite poor weather, we will have raised around $200 for our school.
· Don Fong will present a check to the school at a time to be determined.
Read-A-Thon – Stacey Gibbs/Julie Foley
· Final calculations were not ready at the time of the meeting but highlights include:
· Over 121,000 minutes read – 156 students participated
· To increase participation, prizes were awarded for minutes read, dollars raised, classroom participation.
· More to follow on outcome of funds raised and lottery for winners.
Multicultural Fair – Amy Munsinger/Kate Clarity/Karen Carillo
· Save the Date May 19th 2012
· Preparations are beginning for this major event; next planning meeting is Friday 03/23/2012 at 8am in Marta’s office.
· We need assistance in the planning stages, in setting up and getting donations for gift baskets, touching base with entertainment, food vendors, volunteers for teaching heritage culture, as well as general help with set up, games, food and clean up.
· Reserve your volunteer position by signing up at www.rdlsptso.org – in the left hand navigation, click on Volunteer, in the drop down box choose Multicultural Fair and fill in your name and contact info as well as how you would like to help.
School Supplies Ordering – Stacey Gibbs
· Fundraising opportunity helps both the classroom with school supplies and eases parent’s burden of fighting crowds at local office supply and discount stores and the stress of finding ALL of the requested items
· Allows teaching teams to post class room supply needs with an online vendor
· Allows parents to purchase all supplies at one fell swoop for each grade
· This company is aligned with Staples.
· Opportunity for this event would happen over the summer where it would be more advantageous for participation.
Movie Night – Gina Schneeberger
· Slotted for April 27th, 2012 Time 6:30pm – 8pm
· Last remaining days to spend time with our Amity Scholar Clara.
· Please contact Karen Sherman to set up date to have her over to your home and share your family life.
· It is a wonderful opportunity to share your loving home with our Amity Scholar.
Fifth Grade Trip
· A group of parents of current 4th graders have been exploring the opportunity of having an international trip available for graduating 5th graders at the end of the 2013 school year.
· Because of liability issues, the district will not support the trip so it would be sponsored by a group of RDLS parents
· Please look for a survey that will gauge interest and thoughts on this proposed event
· Contact Andrea Solie or check out the RDLS Facebook page for more info